The Professional Development Committee strives to host a variety of activities and events annually to:
- Help our members and guests grow professionally and provide them with opportunities to network
- Help prepare our student members to be better prepared for the workforce
- Increase the awareness of the Society of Women Engineers in the community
- Technical Tours of Local Industry
- Dinner Discussions/Presentations or Virtual Speaker Events
- Joint Meetings with other Local Professional Societies
- Book Clubs and other Discussion Groups
Up to two of our annual events are hosted jointly with other local professional organizations such as the National Society of Black Engineers Central Illinois Chapter (CI-NSBE) and the ASM International Central Illinois Chapter. Partnering with other organization grows our professional networks and expands our development opportunities. A theme is identified each year for all our dinner presentations. Past themes included: Secrets of Success, Succeeding in an International Work Environment, and Rekindle Your Passion.
These opportunities not only provide a deeper understanding of technologies used in local manufacturing and industrial section, but also provide a greater appreciation for our local communities. Past technical tours have included: Midwest Food Bank in Peoria, IL, Riverfront Museum in Peoria, IL, and Mitsubishi Motor North America, Normal, IL. Tours are hosted free of cost to members and non-members and are often attended by anywhere between 25-75 people. Local industries have been very supportive of SWE’s interest in giving member/non-members an avenue to gain knowledge of their industry.
Look for upcoming opportunities on our calendar!